The Magical Tofino Lantern Festival - August 23 to 28
Experience the wide-eyed wonder of The Tofino Lantern Festival, a don’t miss summer event when the Tofino Botanical Gardens transforms into a Disneyesque fantasyland with candle-lit lanterns lighting up the night sky.
Locals and crafty visitors look forward to this event every year… planning, plotting and inventing their handmade lanterns to show-off on Festival night.
And these are not your average lanterns! You’ll see incredible star constellations, galaxies of planets and organic varietals including lanterns that modeled from local mushrooms, flowers, trees and random flora and fauna from the rainforest floors.
Started in 2001 to support the Raincoast Education Society, the event that centered around a few lanterns has evolved into a full-on celebration featuring local musicians, artists and a permanent collection of prize lanterns. There’s also a Children’s Lantern and Costume Parade. In fact, costumes are encouraged! The Festival is particularly wizard, fairy, witch, warlock and wood-nymph friendly.
Looking for Tofino accommodations between Aug. 23 and 28? Either bring your homemade lantern with you or enjoy a Lantern Making Workshop while you’re here:
- At Raincoast Interpretive Centre in the Tofino Botanical Gardens
Aug. 23 to 26 - 12pm to 7pm
Saturday, Aug. 27 - 10am to 3pm
- $10 to $15 per lantern including all supplies
- Call 250.725.2560 for more info
- Pacific Sands is pleased to offer a FREE Lantern Making Workshop for up to 12 of our little guests on Saturday, Aug. 27 from 10am to Noon including a field trip to the Raincoast Interpretive Centre. Simply register your children when booking your stay or call 1.800.565.2322 for more information.
It all comes together on Festival night, Sunday Aug. 28 when all the lanterns are displayed around Tofino Botanical Gardens like magical fire-flies:
7:00 pm – Festival Opens
7:30 pm – Children’s Costume and Lantern Parade
7:30 pm – Live music begins
8:30 pm – Garden Trails open for lantern viewing
10:30 pm – Garden Trails close
It’s car-free but easily accessible on foot, bike, skateboard or via the free shuttle service. No need to buy tickets in advance…just show up, cash only; $10 per person / children 12 and under FREE.
- beach bbq
- beachfront tofino accommodations
- Clayoquot Sound
- feast tofino
- kids camp
- ocean view tofino accommodations
- pacific romance package
- pacific sands
- pacific sands beach resort
- pacific sands tofino bc
- redcan gourmet
- shelter restaurant tofino
- sobo restaurant tofino
- surf sister
- tofino accommodations
- tofino activities
- tofino bc
- tofino events
- tofino packages
- tofino restaurants