Now more than ever, sharing our lives and tables with those we love is too special to be saved for Hallmark occasions. And now with barbecue season ramping up, it’s easy to do with fresh seafood, everyday vegetables, and minimum fuss.
Watch the talented Jeff Mikus—commercial fisherman, cook and owner of our onsite Surfside Grill—as he works his kitchen magic from our Pacific Beach House Signature Suite, demonstrating step-by-step how to prep, cook and present a family style feast that’s fun to make and eat together.
Whether you’re a confident cooking or aspire to be, watch and learn from Jeff’s tested and true techniques including:
- Salmon prep and pin-bone tips
- The easy way to peel shrimp
- Demystifying cooking crab so it’s perfect every time
- How to arrange a spectacular family-style platter or plank
Surfside Grill Family Style Seafood BBQ – cooking lesson:
Note: serves 4 to 6
- 5 pound salmon (preferably wild)
- 2-3 crab (Dungeness if you can get it!)
- 1 pound large shrimp or spot prawns
- 1.5 pounds baby potatoes
- 1-2 bulbs of garlic
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2-3 corn-on-the-cob
- 3 carrots
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 lemons
- fresh rosemary
- fresh dill
- 1 bunch kale (optional)
- pint of strawberries (optional)
Basic staples to have on hand:
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
Mix it Up
- Vegetables – not a carrot fan? Swap any of the vegetables for your favourites.
- Fish – do you prefer halibut? It’s in season now through the summer, so grill that instead! Better yet, add in a steak option for a surf n’ turf platter.
All Pacific Sands suites feature a fully-equipped kitchen, so on your next visit, you can put your mad chef skills to the test with a fun, family cook-off!
Then take a night off to experience Jeff and his culinary team’s delicious cooking at our onsite Surfside Grill. From fish & chips and fish tacos, to burgers and catch-of-the-day specials, enjoy fresh, classic beach food the way it should be. Whether you relax around one of the fire-pits, take it to the beach or head back to dine in your suite, it just doesn’t get more seaside casual than right here in Cox Bay.